Leadership | Thought Leadership
Leadership OpportunitiesThe importance of being a leader in the actuarial profession February/March 2017
The Leadership and Development (L&D) Section is transforming to provide you with the tools you need to grow and succeed as a leader.
Last year, we changed our name to emphasize the importance of leadership in the actuarial profession. This year, we’re providing more opportunities for you to interact with senior leaders, and more frequent, short, electronic communications on L&D topics.
These are the benefits you will receive as a member of the L&D Section:
- Tools to facilitate your personal career development, such as our popular publication, The Stepping Stone, and our new LeAD monthly e-bulletin.
- Practical leadership topics and results-oriented skills on our LinkedIn page, no matter at what point you are in your career.
- Summaries of leadership books to help you build the bridge from technical knowledge to decision-making, via the getAbstract Library.
- Educational opportunities and resources to become a more effective leader within your organization. Attend one of the section-sponsored sessions at an upcoming meeting.
- Network, enhance management practices and experience professional feedback. Attend an interactive section-sponsored session or webcast, such as the “Women’s Leadership Forum” or “Breakfast with Senior Leaders.”
Interested in joining or participating? Log on to My SOA, and then go to “My Community” to join the L&D Section today. You can also send ideas for speakers or topics, or submit a leadership article to be published in an upcoming edition of The Stepping Stone.
Scott Randles, FSA, MAAA, is the senior vice president and appointed actuary at Allstate Benefits in Jacksonville, Florida. He is the chairperson of the SOA’s Leadership & Development Section.